In M1 Carbine Part 2, we disassembled the M1 Carbine into its major groups.
In M1 Carbine Part 3, we disassembled the Trigger Housing Assembly into its individual components.
In M1 Carbine Part 4, we disassembled the bolt without using the M1 Carbine Bolt Tool (don’t try this at home kiddies).
In M1 Carbine Part 5, we removed the components from the stock and receiver that were necessary to remove for inspection and discussed those items not removed.
In M1 Carbine Part 6, we examined the component markings and determined whether the parts are correct for the period and manufacturer.
In M1 Carbine Part 7, we reassembled the trigger housing group.
In M1 Carbine Part 8, we reassembled the bolt without the benefit of an M1 Carbine bolt tool.
In M1 Carbine Part 9, we reassembled the components removed from the stock and receiver and debuted my major groups reassembly video.
In this edition of the series, we are going to explore using the M1 Carbine bolt tool to disassemble the bolt.
In part 4 we discovered that disassembly of the bolt without the bolt tool is not advisable. There are just some things that you need the right tools to do properly. Considering that the tool is available for about $25 it just makes sense to invest in one.
I actually ordered mine from the Civilian Marksmanship Program’s E-store but they don’t seem to carry them any more.
At first the tool looks a little daunting, but it’s really pretty straightforward. The only thing that took some “figuring out” was the two ended chicken head looking deally-bob at the top.
Based upon my experience in disassembling/assembling the bolt without the tool, it is apparent that the flanges are designed to compress the extractor spring plunger…therefore, this component will be referred to as the extractor plunger compressor…but why are there two flanges on a rotating base? Ahhh! they’re different.
With that mystery solved, let’s begin.
First, loosen the threaded “screw” on the side of the tool to retract it out of the way (I put “screw” in quotes because I would normally call such a piece of hardware a “bolt”; however, considering the nature of what we are doing, I think calling it a “bolt” would be confusing so I’m going to call it a screw).
Rotate the extractor plunger compressor so that the solid flange is pointing toward the body of the tool.
The bolt is placed into the tool with the bolt face toward the closed end of the tool. The tab on the firing pin that protrudes from the side of the bolt should be toward the tool when putting them together.
The closed end of the tool also has a pin that will compress the ejector while removing the extractor. That pin is adjustable but I did not have to adjust it on my tool, it worked perfectly “out of the box” (it came in a bag but you know what I mean).
Hold the bolt into the tool to keep the ejector compressor pin aligned with the ejector, at the same time maintain a slight pressure on the extractor plunger compressor so that it doesn’t slip off the plunger. Turn the threaded screw so that it presses against the large lug.
At this point, the extractor should be loose in the bolt. If it isn’t, you may need to jiggle it, the extractor plunger compressor, or the bolt. If all else fails, turn the assembly over. There is a hole in the bottom of the tool for the express purpose of using a punch to drive the extractor out of the bolt. I have yet to have to use it. Once the extractor plunger is completely compressed into its well, the extractor just falls out of the bolt.
Then, release the bolt from the tool by backing out the threaded screw. Be careful, with the tool installed, both the extractor plunger spring and the ejector spring are compressed. If you pop the tool off the bolt without completely removing the pressure, one or both of these springs could fire small but important parts across your working area.
Also, the extractor plunger is TINY. If you drop it, you may be in for quite an adventure trying to find it. It is ferrous so you can use a magnetic pickup tool to help you track it down, but better to be careful and not lose it in the first place if you ask me.
I was originally going to do disassembly and assembly as one post but blogger seems to be on the fritz and I can’t upload any more pictures at the moment.
I’ll go ahead and post this one and then do assembly as another post after I can get the pix uploaded. It may be later on today or possibly tomorrow. It all depends upon when I can get blogger to cooperate again.