Here are the other parts for those coming in late to the game:
After seasoning the finish, the only thing left was to clean up the few things that I wanted to and put it all back together.
As with disassembly, I’m not going to post the reassembly procedure because I already covered that HERE in my earlier series of CZ-82 posts.
Finally, I removed the parkerization from and polished the feed ramp. I was careful not to hit the feed ramp when blasting the frame…I didn’t want to make my job any harder than it needed to be…but the ramp did take the parkerizing somewhat.
Yes, that is a .30 carbine shell casing, a strip of 600 grit emory cloth and some packing tape.
I just left enough of the emory cloth exposed at the tip to hit the ramp. That way I wasn’t worried about marring the finish inside the magazine well.
Some of the gouges were pretty deep and it ended up making the grips a little wavy in places from the amount of material I had to remove to smooth them, but I think it helped.
I’m not overly fond of the plastic grips to begin with so replacing them is probably in the cards at some point.
And that’s it. Without further ado, some before and after pictures to show off my handiwork. I tried to get as close to the exact same shots as I could manage for comparison purposes.
I’m very happy with the way it turned out. I’m not overly fond of the black grips on the greenish gun, but the grips could stand to be changed anyway. Also, the mags don’t drop free as easily as they used to. I don’t know if this is a side effect of the parkerizing, or just taking everything apart and putting it back together…but I may eschew parkerizing the magazines in the future…just do the baseplates so they match, but leave the mag bodies black.
But, overall, I think the experiment was a success. Only two more to do.