Latest Project: AR-308

Actually, one project among several this summer, but this is the only one that’s gun related.

I love the AR style platform, but I’ve always been interested in something bigger than a varmint cartridge. I know you can make an AR work with 7.62×39, .300 AAC Blackout, 6.8 SPC etc, but I wanted a true “battle rifle” loading.

So, I’ve been interested in getting an “AR-10” style AR platform rifle in .308/7.62x51mm.

The problem is that they’re kind of pricey, typically somewhere between $1000-$2000 (or more…just for the rifle, not including accessories or scope).

I just happened to run across a sale on a blemished Diamondback DB10 upper/lower set. I got them both for $129…about half what I’d expect to pay. The “blemish” involved a lack of anodizing inside the mag well on the front and rear surfaces.

On the rear surface, there was also a flaw in the machining, you can see it on the left edge of the groove about 3/4 of the way down (as always, click to make bigger).

I doubt that it would have affected the magazine fit, but I didn’t like it so I cleaned up the groove with a jeweler’s file and then hit it with Alumi-Black. This is what it looks like now.

I think it cleaned up nicely. That was the only real issue. The fit between the upper and lower is perfect. The only other very minor issue is that the finishes don’t match perfectly, the lower is just slightly shinier than the upper, but that’s not even noticeable with the rifle assembled.

Here’s the upper and lower mated together, along with a standard AR-15 upper and lower for comparison.

More to come…

Next Post in the series

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.